Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Buttermilk

Monday, May 12, 2008
Buttermilk Current mood: sleepy Category: Life
I called my mom the other day. Like always, she ask's me "Do you have to go out of town this week?"
"Yes" I said, "I have to go to Amarillo".
I always ask her if she has ever been to whatever town I heading to.
She says" Yes, Many times and I hate that place!"
You would have to know my mom to know that hate is a very stong word.
"Why is that mom?"
"Every year at the end of the summer my dad would load up his truck and put us kids on a flatbed trailer to pick cotton out there"
My mom was one of thirteen children and they lived in Johntown, TX(google it)
She made her first trip west at six years old. Her last trip was about 8 years later.
"Uncle Rush would ride with us on the trailer" she said. "Every billboard or sign that we passed on every trip, we would ask him what it said".
Uncle Rush had the same answer every time. "Buttermilk....5 cents a gallon".
Later,
Farris

No comments: