Sunday, September 14, 2008

Infuences and Genre(s)

Is "Country" a bad word now? I missed that bulletin while I was ignoring those "Mobster" invites........

Yes, I do the myspace thing. I peruse the network and look at other bands.....
Listen to their tunes.......
Look at where they are playing............
See if they have "(now on iTunes)" by their name................Just kidding!

I often take a look at their influences while I listen.....
Sometimes I run across a band's profile where their songs and influences seem a little off......

I'll be hearing a song about having a Shiner and a Chimichana at Juan's Taco Stand in Lampasas...........
While reading that the Drummers influence is SlipKnot
The Bass Player's is Limp Bizkit
The Guitarist's is Korn
But the singer's influence is of course, Johnny Cash.

Funny, I didn't hear any of those artists in your song........Maybe I should listen again!

Should these four individuals be in the same room at the same time?

Nothing against any of the above mentioned artists, especially the man in black.....

I'll look at the top of the screen to see which Genre "Jim Bob and the Beer Breakers" has classified themselves as....
Rock/Southern Rock/Acoustic.....(the last one is because the singer does some solo work).I am missing something..
I really need to listen again..................

I think that the lines between genre(s) are really obvious...........
Or maybe I'm just old fashioned..........Or they are being REALLY FUNNY in a dry kind of way...
Or maybe I'm just a hater!..................
To all of the musicians out there, do your own thing.........
Play what you like, not what is "Hot" right now.

I knew you guys were achin' for a complaint! Shadowland(is in the studio) music coming soon!
Later,
Farris

No comments: